ITLog #4 Small Haul

July 12, 2020

Last night was a pretty productive night; but today was even more so. We went back to my apartment hauling a quite a few pieces of tech:

1. An old ASUS r101-blk002x netbook, it's pretty old and was in a very dusty condition. It was stuck in the boot screen, asking for a new drive or something. I thought it would be a simple fix- just slap some Linux on it and call it a day. I tried opening the back but two screws won't budge, and I don't want another stripped screws situation so I didn't bother. I did get to see it has one RAM slot, occupied by a 2gb stick.

Keyboard looks weird too!

I initially tried Linux Mint but it was all over the place and was horribly unreliable- sometimes the trackpad would stop responding and typing feels sluggish. The keyboard was probably bonked too but software probably didn't help either.
What the fuck is happening

At least it got to the desktop. Feels sluggish though


After Linux Mint, I tried AntiX and it was a lot more responsive and the keyboard was more accurate. Still has some fuck ups every now and then, probably needs some cleaning but at least it works. It warned me that the hard disk is dying, but I can't open it yet. I'll address that problem when I'm there.

AntiX living up to their promise of reviving old hardware

2. My cousins' old desktop computer. I know very little of desktops though, so I might ask for Sonny Go's help for this one.

I honestly have no idea where to start but Sonny and JdlC are helping me haha

I miss seeing ports like this. Even has ps2!

It'll probably cost me money to revive this, but it would be worth the learning experience

3. A 4:3 VGA LCD monitor. I forgot where my dad got this one, but it's the one he uses when his screen was still broken. It has these red, blue, green lines going vertically near the middle. I'm not too sure if it's actually fixable, but I like how I use it right now.

All in all, today was a really nice day was able to give life to an old netbook, am going to study how to resurrect a desktop, and is currently rocking a dual monitor setup. Yesterday and today was a win.

Retrogames look good even with those weird lines

Poor man's dual monitor setup. If it works, it works!

Comments

Popular Posts