ITLOg #3 Succeeded 2/4

July 11, 2020

I'm finally with my family after a long while. I really missed them so, but my purpose isn't just to see them but to also try my hand at fixing my father's laptop.

There were a couple of issues;

1. A screen that only lights up but displays nothing. I assume it's probably burned.

2. The fan isn't working anymore.

3. The keyboard isn't responsive.

4. The OS is Windows 7 without a license.

So, essentially we have 4 problems that needs addressing. I was actually able to fix the laptop screen. I was right in my assumption that the other 14 inch screen we have can be used for this one, and seeing the screen work again really made my father happy so I feel happy as well.

Just white. Maybe I can use the light panel for other things

It's working. I'm happy.

I applied a fresh thermal glue on the CPU, and cleaned out the fan hoping that it works. Unfortunately, it does not. I power up the system but the fan doesn't spin. I assume it just needs a new fan, and nothing more. Hopefully, installing a new fan would be enough.

What else can I do but just wait for a new fan

The keyboard was both a software and a hardware issue; the keyboard is filled with dust and the Filter Keys were on. Simply turning off the filter keys got me to typing condition again, but some the backspace keys still needed to be pressed hard.

Now, while I LOVE Windows 7 (it's the last Windows OS I actually enjoy using), given the age of this thing and it being unlicensed; it has to go. Once I get new fans for this, I'll install Linux Mint and hopefully it'll be good as new. Well, I'm assuming it will be since ASUS K43S is a pretty strong laptop anyway.

i was able to solve 2 of the 4 problems, with the other 2 highly fixable once I have the proper materials. I'm feeling pretty hopeful.

I need to learn to be not messy haha


I still feel nervous with dealing with the mobo but I'll get the hang of it soon

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts